Address book is a collection of contact lists. The address book can be used to search and select names, email addresses and distribution lists while you address the messages. When you type in To, Cc and Bcc fields, Outlook program checks if the typed name matches with those in the address book. If the program finds a match, there are no issues. In other cases, it will open a ‘check names’ dialogue box, prompting you for more information and you need to create a contact by choosing new contact. Microsoft Outlook contains a Contacts folder in Outlook address book, which stores lists of addresses of people and the related information, like the email addresses. You can import the addresses from the Excel file to the Outlook program. Once the import is complete, the email addresses can be inserted into new emails directly from Outlook.
In Outlook 2002 and 2003
- Click the File menu and then choose Import and Export.
- Select Import from another program or file and then click Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) in case the Excel file is saved with a CSV file extension. If the file is saved in XLS file extension, you need to select Microsoft. Click Next.
- Now, search down for the Excel email list file and then click twice over it.
- Click Allow Duplicates or Do not import duplicate items in case you do not want to replace the existing contacts. Otherwise, click Replace duplicates with items imported.
- Click Next, Contacts. Choose Next.
- Click Map Custom Fields to verify that all Excel columns are being imported to the desired Outlook Contact fields. Modify, if necessary, and then click OK and Finish.
In Outlook 2007
- Click the File menu, select Import and Export. Choose Next.
- Select Comma Separated Values (Windows) if the Excel file is saved with a CSV file extension. Select Microsoft Excel if the Excel file is saved with an XLS file extension. Click Next.
- Look in to the Excel email list file by searching down the list and double clicking the concerned file.
- Click Allow Duplicates if you do not wish to remove the existing contacts. Click Next, Contacts and then Next.
- Click Map Custom Fields to verify that all Excel columns are being imported to the desired Outlook Contact fields, and then choose OK. Select Finish for completing the process.
In case you face any difficulty in inserting the email addresses in to the Outlook address book, contact Microsoft technical support for more assistance.